Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My first amigurumi...

Posted by Laura (Moñacos, Cosicas y Meriendacenas) at 1:00 PM

In May 2011 I had my first experience with amigurumi. It was a 8 hour total amigurumi workshop in a local stores on Saturdays, 4 hours each.  I have never crocheted before and, I don't know what I expected, but surely not what happened. I made a horribly uneven fluffy chain and little more in 4 HOURS!!!

Kinda disappointed I went to my grandma's that day and I told her that I thought this was not for me. She grab a crochet hook and made me crochet before her all evening while yelling "this is not how you grab the hook", "pick the yarn like this", "that stitch is terrible, undo this and repeat"

A little practice later, some YouTube tutorials and the next Saturday, with my teacher's help, of course, I was able to make my first mini amigurumi.




And bi-color! I sew his nose a little too low but, as I always say... you have to love your creations just the way they  are.


The problem, as I realized later, is that I wanted to start with a small hook and with dark colored yarn , terrible mistake. As I tried with bigger yarn and hook, It was easier to see the stitches. So, if you are a beginner, here's my advice:

-Pick a light color yarn
-Try to pick a bulky yarn and an appropriate hook for that yarn
-When you master the way you hold your yarn, everything would be easier.
-Be patient, go slow and don't hesitate in undo and repeat a stitch if necessary



PD (2014): I still have this little one amigurumi cat, I have a especial love for it :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Geekurumi Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea